So the big news over the weekend was of course the San Diego Comic Con, probably the biggest con of its kind in the US (assuming, I know little of conventions). The only other “large” convention of this nature that comes to mind is the New York Comic Con. But the SDCC seems to be the place where all the shows produce exclusive toys and collectibles for their fans, through my various searches I did take note of the other past SDCC exclusives from shows like Robot Chicken.
Outside of the show news the biggest was of course SDCC Exclusive figure of the grey pony, aka Derpy Hooves. The picture above shows the convention poster, along with a note that they had sold out. If not mistaken the figure basically sold out in the first day, and of course there was no backup supply. An SDCC Zecora figure was also available, but not quite as popular as our derp.
Over the course of the weekend we collected what we could on the convention, obviously posting the bigger news such as the MLP Panel and Season 3 previews up earlier than this post. To recap them for you looking to read up all about it:
Two previews of Season 3 were seen at the convention, along with a somewhat mysterious message about next month leading to many to believe Season 3 may start in August.
One of the first pieces of news from SDCC was the trolley that was taking people to and from the convention center. Several cars were dressed up with ponies, and inside the cars included “motivational” posters of the Mane 6 (seen in the gallery below).
- Rainbow Dash: Courage – “I could clear this sky in ten seconds flat.”
- Rarity: Confidence – “Nice is an understatement, I look fabulous!”
- Applejack: Independence – “I harvested the entire Sweet Apple Acres without your help. How do you like them apples?”
- Fluttershy: Success – “Yay!”
- Pinkie Pie: Spirit – “I never leave home without my party cannon.”
- Twilight: Determination – “If I can’t find a friendship problem, I’ll make a friendship problem!”
There is also a video of the trolley in action found here, made by local San Diego resident AwesomeBrony.
Then of course there was Hasbro’s booth which seemed to be filled with pony (assuming it was just one section, as you can see they also were pimping G.I. Joe and I’m sure Transformers). There isn’t much to note about this outside a slew of merchandise in display cases, including a giant Derpy figure, and of course the giant Pinkie Pie (is that the same one we see Seth Green sitting with at Hasbro HQ?). You can find a full size gallery of all the pictures above at the end of the post.
And then of course the MLP Panel, where information was given out about the upcoming season along with various other questions. We do have some notes, Sethisto of EqD was in attendance so of course he got the skinny on everything. You can find the original notes here on his site. Here is a recap:
- Trixie was more or less confirmed, it wasn’t said directly but someone said ”I think we’re not allowed to say, but I will expect season three to maybe see some great and powerful stuff.”
- They talked about Derpy. Someone asked if she’d received any more speaking roles and the response was that Hasbro loves Derpy now (obviously by everything she is appearing in), but will probably remain in the background.
- Someone asked about “Which background pony would you like to voice” and eventually Octavia came up, in which Cathy Weseluck more or less randomly did a voice for her, and hinted that she could do a duet with Rarity.
- Something about Fluttershy turning into a dragon and her cute voice coming from the giant lizard was mentioned by Tabitha. (McCarthy claims this is false, but god knows).
- Possible more Luna.
And that pretty much wraps up the SDCC from my end.
[ Sources: EqD, ToyArk, Twitter & Fans ]